Friday, June 26, 2009

Thing 14

Podcasting

I love podcasts and subscribe to some through my iTunes account. Science Friday on NPR is one that I like to check up on. There's always a fascinating topic being discussed and who has time to listen on a Friday afternoon?

I subscribe to some other NPR podcasts--the game show Wait, Wait, Don't Tell me and Fresh Air are two I like.

I discovered the International Reading Association has some podcasts pertinent to a reading teacher (which, by the way, I am). I attended an IRA convention in Chicago a few years ago and noticed some of the presenters in the convention hall with microphones in their faces. Sure enough, they were creating podcasts about their particular reading expertise. I found the podcasts later on the Reading.org site.

I also found some good podcasts that help me keep up with what's newly published on some of the publisher's sites--Stenhouse and Heinemann, for example. This is more of a commercial use of the podcasts, but hearing the voice of an author can have an impact on whether the work is something I want to learn more about or not.

Students might like to record their conversations around books and literature so others can hear their thinking.

I need to play around with this some more.

1 comment:

  1. I like your idea of podcasting students' booktalks. What a great way for students to interact and learn from others. Good bye to worksheets; hello to technology. Plus, what a great way for families to be involved in the learning process. Parents can listen to their student's conversations about literature at home....or in the car.

    ReplyDelete